Blog Archive

Armed and Dangerous Book 1 and 2 "Links to all chapters"

Below you will find chronological links to all 17 Chapters of "Armed and Dangerous," A G.I.Joe Origins Story.  At the bottom of th...

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Arco, "the Other World Collection"






     The above collection was a labor of love for me.  Back in the mid-1980s, I received an unexpected set of action figures for my 10th birthday.  Having a deep fascination with LJN's Dungeons and Dragons figure line, my mom and grandma decided to supplement my birthday present with a three-figure set from Arco's The Other World (1983).  The set I received had King Zendo, Hondu and two mogs.  They were apparently part of the villain line for this series and came complete with glow in the dark weapons.  Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a sucker for any toyline with a glow in the dark feature.  the figures were soft rubber with internal wires that allowed the figures to bend, similar to the old Gumby line.  The following Christmas I received Froggacuda and then for about a decade, I forgot about the toyline.  In the late 90s and early 2000s, I started frequenting vintage toy shops and Mega Toy shows.  It was here that I discovered other figures from the Other World and I slowly became obsessed with completing the line.  To this day, I am still missing the weapons rack and a couple glow in the dark boulders, but I have found and purchased all the other figures and accessories that you can see above.  I will continue to add information to this post detailing each figure and creature included, but this is all for now.
Cheers!
Drakov

     O.K. so here is a little more information for you.  Bottom shelf starting at the left:  Antor the Stinger being ridden by Skitzo the two-headed man.  Next to him is Yurus the Terrible, being ridden by Jurka the warrior.  Next to them, Sir'Cobra. Moc, the rock thrower is next and all the way to the right is the two-headed Gaifand dragon being ridden by Hondu, the Hatchetman.
     Next shelf up begins with Kamaro being ridden by Raidy who is squaring off against the Weapon Master riding Sharkoss. Ronin is hanging out in the far background with some purple Mogs and orange Jipps.  The lava man is next in the lineup followed by Princess Kreena riding aloft Kontory the great bird.
     The top shelf is home to the greatly coveted "Castle Zendo."  I scored a MIB specimen back when no one else was searching for them at a cost of $39.99.  The castle is rather basic but has really cool glow-in-dark features.  King Zendo is looking out from the balcony over General EssGee and his small army of Jipps.  Froggacuda, the swamp monster stands at the ready to defend the exterior from the threat.  Throw in a couple of Rock Lords, "Just because they Rock!" pun intended and you have the awesome display you see here.  The only item that still eludes me is the weapon rack which came with the weapon master figure.  One day I'll track one down. 
     Another interesting fact about the toyline is that many of the figures were repackaged with other characters to create "Battles in a Box."  I am fortunate to own a MIB specimen of "Fighting Terrans."  In this set, Raidy and Ronin are packaged with their respective weapons, a couple of Jipps and the mighty Gaifand Dragon.  in addition to the awesome figures inside the back of the box was adorned with an illustrated comic.  Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane with a little appreciated toyline from 1983.

Cheers!
Drakov




No comments:

Post a Comment