Blog Archive

Armed and Dangerous Book 1 and 2 "Links to all chapters"

Below you will find chronological links to all 17 Chapters of "Armed and Dangerous," A G.I.Joe Origins Story.  At the bottom of th...

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Enter the Headhunters Chapter 20

Chapter 20
The commencement ceremony was set for 1300 hours the following day, as was customary with the creation of all new sub-teams, the new recruits would be publicly sworn in before the entire team. Afterward, we would all be shipped out to a new base of operations where we would be briefed about our mission and receive any necessary additional training.  I was excited about my public appointment, but even more so about the importance of the task force.  My very selection was a rite of passage. It meant that the previous year of special ops training with the G.I. Joe team had been a success. That I had graduated beyond grunt status, but at the same time that my service to my country would be all the more difficult and important.
We waited patiently outside the auditorium for the procession music to begin. I've never been married, but I equated my nervous anticipation to that of a new bride readying herself to walk down the aisle. Each of us was dressed in our finest military attire. I had had my dress blues dry cleaned and pressed for the occasion. I was permitted to bring Dangerous in alongside me, just as Junkyard would be accompanying Mutt. As the music began, I felt the throngs of anxiety welling up inside me.  Every member of the Joe team currently not on assignment would be standing and saluting us as we marched to the front stage. For some of the veteran members, this was merely a formality for the brass and the paper pushers. After the ceremony, we would have to sign our name on some new, top-secret dossier, and after today, it might be a long time before I returned to my quarters in the Pit.
My current status would be recorded as enlisted and on assignment. My location would be disclosed on a need to know basis, and communication outside of my unit would be restricted.
I steadied my nerves and followed in behind Stretcher and Bombstrike. When we finally completed our procession to the front stage, we all saluted the members of the team standing before us. The entrance music ended and the commencement speaker directed our attention to Old Glory, as the “Star Spangled Banner” began to play.
There were only two other times that the chords of that song had meant so much to me. The first time was my commencement ceremony in the Marine Corps, the second was prior to being sworn in as an official member of the G.I.Joe team just over a year ago. They say the power of music is unpredictable and without limits. It can fully motivate a person to do the unthinkable or reduce someone to tears. “For the land of the free---and the home of the brave!” As the final words of the anthem concluded, I felt transformed. I felt empowered. I had found a new cause, and The DEF was destined to be its champion.
The room erupted in applause as the final notes of the band fell silent. General Hawk approached the podium and after a brief welcome, asked the congregation to please be seated.
“Good afternoon esteemed men and women of the G.I.Joe team. It is not every day that we get to induct members of our family into the ranks of a newly formed task force. So many times, we are simply called away on various assignments based upon nothing more than primary military specialty and overall availability. This can be the way our service to this nation occurs.  Today, however, is different. The G.I.Joe team, in conjunction with the federal government of the United States, has been petitioned to select and assemble a team of highly qualified and dedicated operatives solely to wage the war on opioid addiction and illegal drug distribution in our great nation.  As many of you may be aware, not since the 1960s has the influence of drugs threatened so many lives in the United States!”
The team members in attendance remained quiet and respectful. As I sat on the dais, I was able to view a wide array of emotion on the faces of all those in attendance. Some were filled with rage at the mere mention of the opioid epidemic while others showed empathy, elation, and hope.  Their reactions to our cause, only made me more proud to be there. 
“The fine men and women seated before you, have been selected to assist the United States at winning the war on drugs.  Nominees, when I call your man and rank, please stand.” 
The official moment was finally here.  My stomach was still tied up in knots, but I was confident that that would soon pass. 
Lieutenant Junior Skip A. Stone, Cutter.  Sergeant Thomas Larivee, Stretcher.  Corporal Alyssa Renee Stall, Bombstrike. Sergeant Paige Adams, Mayday.  Private First Class Steven Kordos, Armed and Dangerous.  Sergeant Stanley Perlmutter, Mutt and Junkyard. Corporal Ross A. Williams, Muskrat.  Captain John Zullo, Claymore.  Not in attendance today, Corporal Jason A. Faria, Shockwave. Corporal Thomas P. Mangiaratti, Long Arm. First Sergeant Thomas S. Bowman, Mace, and heading up the Drug Elimination Force, Major Earl Morris, Bulletproof.” 
Two previously unseen and unmentioned members of the task force approached the stage from the back of the auditorium in full military regalia. Major Morris left his chair next to the General and the final three members joined us on stage, standing in front of the remaining three vacant chairs. 
“Ladies and Gentlemen of the Drug Elimination Force, please recite the oath of initiation with me.” 
Each of us had been handed a program on our way in.  The oath of initiation was printed on the second page after the commencement speech and introduction of candidates.
“Please raise your right hand.” 
We all did as instructed.
“I, Steven Kordos, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I most humbly accept this appointment to the Drug Elimination Force and will carry out my assignment while maintaining the level of secrecy this mission entails. So help me God." 
“It is with great pride that I now present...the members of the D.E.F!” 
The room erupted into applause as the letters D.E.F left the general’s lips.
After the oath was complete, all were all invited to sit. Major Morris returned to his place next to General Hawk then approached the podium in order to introduce a guest speaker, a senator from the state of Connecticut.  He was a homegrown public servant from the Northeast, which was my part of the United States.  He didn’t speak nearly as long as General Hawk and simply congratulated each of us for accepting this difficult, yet rewarding assignment.  I looked over to my fellow task force members as his final words rung out through the auditorium. 
“And together, we will defeat this threat!”
All in attendance applauded. 
Upon completion of the senator’s speech, the official anthem of the G.I.Joe team began to play indicating that it was time for our procession out of the auditorium.  Light food and refreshments were made available for all at the Pit Cafeteria, but this would be our last night on base.  A private Humvee would be sent at 0800 hours to take all the new members and their necessary belongings to our new undisclosed base camp. Wherever that might be. 
I walked around the cafeteria of the Pit and shook the hands of just about every person in the room.  In addition to the congratulations and well wishes, several team members offered advice as well.  I listened to all the kernels of wisdom tossed my way and after an hour of socializing, I excused myself and Dangerous from the festivities.  In all honesty, it’s not easy maneuvering around a congested room with an adult cheetah at your side and free food being occasionally dropped on the floor.
After stopping back at my quarters to give my furry companion a break from all the excitement, I decided to do some light packing before checking back in on PathfinderDoc had said that there was really no improvement to his condition even though the all the recent medical tests revealed no distinguishable underlying cause.  He remained in a deep sleep most of the time with bouts of vivid nightmares.  He would wake only briefly. Sometimes speaking screaming and at other times speaking some garbled nonsense before falling back into a catatonic trance-like state. There was clearly something wrong, but no one could pinpoint the reason for his sudden unusual behavior. 
“Alright Kitty, it’s time for a little timeout.” 
I opened the door to his crate and Dangerous happily walked in and laid down on his comfy cat bed.  He was clearly wiped out from all the goings on and was napping within a few minutes time.
“I know, I really tired you out.  Get some rest, my furry friend.  Tomorrow will be the dawn of a new adventure.” 
I rubbed him gently under the chin before closing the latch on his cage door.  I then proceeded to do some more packing, throwing a few more pairs of socks and shirts into my oversized duffle bag.  Looking at the clock on the wall, I decided it was time to head over to the infirmary.
It was a short walk there and when I arrived, Pathfinder appeared to be resting comfortably.  I sat down in the chair next to his bed and started a conversation, not sure if he could hear me.
“Hey, buddy.  How are you feeling?  You’ll be happy to know that I am now an official member of the Drug Elimination Force.  The ceremony just ended a little while ago, and I will be heading out to my new base camp tomorrow morning.  I just wanted to stop by and check in on you before I left.” 
There was little response from him as I spoke.  Occasionally he grunted or sighed loudly, but there were no audible sounds that indicated that he knew I was even there.  I reached out in order to clasp his right hand.
“I couldn’t head out without thanking you again for all you did for me over the past year.  I never would have gotten out of Kenya if it wasn’t for you.”
He tightly squeezed my hand and sat up abruptly pulling me in so his face was near to my ear. 
“You gotta help me, the waves keep pulling me under and I can’t swim bro.  Save me and the rest of the team!” 
The words were mostly whispered, but his eyes were wide open when he spoke them.
 “What waves?  How can I help you?”
I wanted to help him.
“Make them stop!  They’re in my head!”
He was screaming loudly now. Then his grip relaxed as his eyes rolled up into his head and he fell back onto the bed in a fit of convulsions.  He began foaming at the mouth and his heart monitor alarm sounded.
“Help! I need help in here!” 
I immediately ran to the receptionist just as Lifeline and a nurse ran past me with a crash cart.  Apparently, all the commotion had already alerted them to the goings on in the room. I attempted to follow them back into the room, but they closed the door behind them leaving me out in the hallway.  I walked to the reception area and took a seat, nervously awaiting news of his condition.  The whole situation was so odd, and it seemed to all begin after the completion of our mission in Kenya. 
Could he have picked up an unknown parasite that was now starting to affect his brain?  Could he have been exposed to a mutagen while serving in the Cobra ranks?  These and other thoughts flooded my mind as I worried about my friend’s well-being.  Then it struck me.  The hypnotist, Crystal Ball had attempted to control my mind during my imprisonment. Could he somehow be controlling Pathfinder’s mind now?  And if he was, how could I prove it and prevent him from continuing? 
The clock continued to march forward and about an hour later Lifeline emerged from the room and approached me. 
“We managed to stabilize his vitals and he is resting comfortably now.  Can you tell me what happened before his episode?”
I thought back to the conversation and detailed how I was telling him about my recent assignment and morning deployment.  I went on to tell him about the voices in his head and about how he gripped my hand and pulled me in close to ask for help.  Lifeline took some notes and nodded.
“Is it possible that he could be suffering from some type of mind control or probing?  When we were being held in the captured marine outpost in Africa, one of Cobra’s operatives probed my mind using some type of wave creating hypno-shield.  Pathfinder wasn’t interrogated as far as I know, but he was posing as a Cobra officer. Is it possible that he could have been brainwashed unknowingly as a result of infiltrating the terrorist coalition and now they are using his mind to glean information about the G.I.Joe team?”
The medic took down my concerns and offered a response. 
“I’ve never seen this type of behavior in any other patients, but Cobra is unconventional and has been known to push the envelope when it comes to mind control experiments.  Typically mind control is short-term and should have worn off by now, unless they got inside his brain and are somehow still bombarding his thoughts with subliminal waves.  Thanks for the input, I’m going to contact Psyche Out and Doc and discuss this further.  In the meantime, there is really nothing else that you can do for him today and it might be better if you go and prepare for your deployment tomorrow.”  I grimaced at his request, but I really did not want to leave my teammate’s side. 
“But... I can’t just leave him like this.”  
Lifeline held up his hands to quiet my protests. 
“I promise if there is any change in his condition, you will be one of the first people I contact and I will ask General Hawk and Duke if I can provide you with updates even after your relocation.  Now please, go, get some rest.  Your friend would expect no less from you.” 
I nodded in understanding, shook his hand in thanks before reluctantly walking out the door towards the Pit Pub.  I needed to see my friends for at least a little while before turning in for the night. I wanted to make Mainframe and some of the others aware of my concerns even though I knew, that my friend was in the very capable hands of the Joe doctors.  As I entered the pub, I immediately noticed Mainframe sitting at a side booth with Clutch and DeeJay.  I walked over in their direction confident, that they would mirror my concerns.
“Hey, guys.  Got a second? I need to run something by you and get your opinions.” 
Clutch waved the waitress over and ordered another round of drinks. 
“Have a seat buddy.  What’s on your mind?” 
An ice bucket filled with five beers was placed on the table before I could even take a seat. 
“Grab a cold one broski, you look like you need one, or five.”


I grabbed a beer and began to explain my theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment